Tel: 01900 602385
Rev. Alistair Smeaton
The church was established in 1651 as the first Independent (subsequently Congregational) Church in Cockermouth.
Its trials and tribulations are well documented (see Bradbury’s History of Cockermouth) and an early 18th century chapel, now a dwelling, stands behind the present building erected in 1850. Major modifications took place in the early 1990s when the church was divided horizontally; the lower part being converted into a general purpose function room with kitchen and toilets while the upper floor remained as the place of worship.
The building and its forecourt are extensively used: Cockermouth Christian centre who meet on sunday afternoons and the upper room hosts many concerts. As at 2017:the Ministers are Revd Alistair Smeaton and Revd Dave Harkison
- Sunday 10.30 am
- Evening services are at 6.00 on the second sunday each month but the venue alternates with the Methodist church so it is best if people can contact us before coming.
For the ministers: email@example.com
for bookings firstname.lastname@example.org
for the church more generally email@example.com
We are member of Churches Together in Cockermouth and area.
See also Kings Church
Get directions on Google Maps :