Grid Ref: NY 124309
Originally an earth and timber motte and bailey fort built around 1134 by Norman, Gilbert de Pipard. It was rebuilt in stone in early 13th century by William de Fortibus mainly from stone from the Roman settlement, in what is now called Papcastle. Significant additions were made in the 13th and 14th centuries. Including work by Henry Percy and that wing is called the Percy Wing. The castle played a significant role in the Wars of the Roses, and the Civil Wars of the 1640s. After this it was dismantled on the orders of Parliament, and much of it is still in a ruinous condition.
The view above shows the Wyndham rooms built along the North wall of the outer bailey.
J B Bradbury, local historian, has published in his series of booklets Cockermouth in Pictures Number 3 - describing in drawing and text the Castle and its history. This is available in the local craft and book shops, and the Tourist Information Centre. See the Castle Gaol.
The Castle is not open to the public except on special occasions. It it usually open on certain days during the Cockermouth Festival in July.
The brewery and the castle.
Repairs to Castle footings in 2016
Aerial photos by Simon Ledingham.
Get directions on Google Maps :