Grid Ref: NY 190301
The present Church at Wythop, dedicated to St Margaret of Antioch, (who is depicted in the North chapel window) was consecrated by the Bishop of Carlisle on July 31st 1866. It was designed by Bruce of Whitehaven, and replaces the Kelswick Old Chapel now in ruin, which can still be visited at Chapel Wood, Kelsick, and which dates back to the 14th or 16th Century. The new Church is built on land which belonged to the Vane Estate. (Lord Inglewood (Richard Vane) now lives at Hutton-in-the-Forest).
The Church is unusual in having the porch on the north side because of the fell-side site. The alter cross is made from wood taken from the ruins of the old church, and covered in brass at the Keswick school of Industrial Arts.
The memorials in the Church speak of families in the small community - principal among these are the Vanes. The East window, of the Crucifixion, is dedicated to Diana Olivia Vane, (died 1875), and the smaller chancel windows in memory of Sir Henry Vane (died 1908) and Margaret Lady Vane (died 1916). The chancel pew is engraved with the name of Sir Henry Ralph Vane. Two windows in the nave are by Charles Kempe - The Adoration of the Magi on the south west side, and The Entry into Jerusalem on the north west side.
Part of the East window, dedicated to Diana Olivia Vane
Aerial photo by Simon Ledingham
Church Services :
- 1st, 3rd, & 4th Sundays 11.15am Holy Communion 2nd Sunday 11.15am Morning Praise 5th Sunday Joint Service - please see website for details of place and time.
Rev Tricia Rogers Tel: 016973 71541
Get directions on Google Maps :