Grid Ref: NY 163334
Situated beside the River Derwent, close to the grounds of Isel Hall, this church is dedicated to St Michael and dates from 1130 AD. Of Norman origin, it contains many interesting features, the Chancel arch being one of the chief architectural beauties.
There is a slate monument of 1632 to Sir Wilfred Lawson, twice MP for Cumberland. The inscription is a verse written by Sir Walter Raleigh the night before he was executed. There are other interesting memorials. The church possesses a White Altar frontal dating from 1902, which was embroidered by the Royal School of Needlework, and contains materials from the hangings in Westminster Abbey.
There are two large stone fragments of an Anglo-Saxon cross shaft, similar to other crosses in the area (Gosforth being the best example). The Triskele Stone, a Viking sculture, which was one of the churches treasures, was stolen in 1986. There is now just a photograph of it.
Aerial photo by Simon Ledingham
Get directions on Google Maps :