Tel: Bob Pritchard 01900 8
The Quaker Meeting House stands amid an attractive array of buildings near the top of Kirkgate, on a site first occupied by The Society of Friends in 1688. The Quakers, as they are popularly known, had originally established a presence in the area at Pardshaw some three miles from Cockermouth (now just off the A5086 Cockermouth to Egremont road).
As numbers grow so, in 1782, did the need to increase the capacity of the meeting room. This in turn was replaced in 1884 by the current building, the interior of which was remodelled in the early 1970s. The imposing Italianate-style entrance leads to a welcoming lobby off which are found the kitchen, toilets and entrance to the meeting rooms.
Behind the building there is an extensive garden which also contains a burial ground with simple Quaker gravestones. In addition to the Friendsí meetings, the premises are used for a variety of activities. There is now also a midweek meeting for worship on Thursdays at 6pm-6.30pm.
Get directions on Google Maps :