Fr Peter J Sharrock
St Joseph’s was opened in 1856 largely in response to the influx of Irish immigrants who found employment in the thriving mills of the town around that time.
Standing close to the River Derwent, the neo-Gothic building consists of a single chamber nave with a small apse within which the raised stone altar occupies a commanding position.
The tall windows with their relatively small stained glass medallions representing a miscellany of saints, help to give the interior a light and airy feeling. The adjacent church hall, formerly the school, is also well used by local groups for various activities.
Service Times :
Mass times are: Saturday (Vigil) at 7.00pm Sunday at 11.00am Weekday services at 9.30am.
Get directions on Google Maps :